Chromebook Questions? Please contact Mrs. Stacey Johnston at email@example.com or call 989-587-5100 ext. 5113
- our Theater Program is performing The Addams Family on March 16th, 17th, and 18th - please come see the theatrical talent we have at P-W!
- Junior Parents = is your student utilizing his/her College Board/Khan Academy account to prepare for the SAT on April 10th? - research shows that 20 hrs. of SAT practice on Khan Academy is associated w/ an avg. 115 point score increase from the PSAT to the SAT! (please check in w/ your Junior to ensure he/she is still getting on Khan and getting the needed reps.!)
- P-W is holding a Schools of Choice Open Enrollment for non-residents for Begindergarten and Kindergarten students only for the 2018-19 school year, beginning Wednesday, February 21-March 7, 2018. Applications are due by 4:00 pm on Wednesday, March 7, 2018. Forms may be:
* mailed or delivered to Central Office, Attn: Deb Prince, P-W Schools, 5101 S. Clintonia Road, Westphalia, MI 48894, or
*faxed to (989) 587-5120, or
* emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schools of Choice BK/K students must be enrolled at P-W Schools by March 29, 2018. The Schools of Choice form is available on our website (bottom of the page): http://www.pwschools.org/elementary/kindergarten-registration/
- As a reminder to our Parents, the following is the Run/Hide/Fight methodology we use for training our students/staff in the case of an active shooter/lockdown (this protocol was recommended to us by the Michigan State Police, and vetted by Clinton County law enforcement, of whom evaluate our numerous lock down drills) = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXjSk3hY5tQ
- Tues., April 10th will be an "HS testing day" for our HS students (Seniors will have the day off of school to visit colleges, take entrance tests, etc., Juniors will attack the SAT, and Sophs/Frosh will tackle the PSAT), while our MS kids will have a traditional 1/2 day bell schedule
Please see the following PREVIOUSLY COMMUNICATED INFO./EVENTS/REMINDERS:
- Our Educators have been hard at work creating videos to help you understand some of the things that happen in their classrooms. For example, if you’re not sure how to read the homework sheets that come home from Mrs. Sedlacek’s 4th grade classroom - there’s a video for that. If you would like to know how Mrs. Butcher structures her Free Writing Assignments - there’s a video for that. If you’re looking to create a lifelong reader - Mrs. McCord has made a video for that. Essentially, each Teacher tried to identify something that parents have had confusion with, and made a video to address that situation.
All of these videos have been uploaded to one YouTube channel, called PW Parent Education Support. It can be located by going to YouTube and entering the name of the channel into the search box. From there, you can browse available videos and subscribe to the channel.
We hope that you find these videos to be a valuable tool in helping to educate your child.
- we ask that all MS Parents encourage their students to not only fill out their planners every day w/ the course learning targets and homework, but also, to look through the planners w/ their children at night, to ensure homework is being completed.
- a reminder to our Parents, that students are not supposed to take their cell phones into classrooms with them, due to past issues w/ cheating, cyberbullying, etc. - HS students are able to use their phones in the hallways during passing time, and during their lunch period, whereas MS students are not to take their cell phones out of their lockers during school hrs.
- a reminder that student-athletes must be in school for the entire school day in order to practice/participate/compete - matters of Faith, family, medical appts., etc. may serve as an exception, via proactive communication
- please watch this PowerSchool video tutorial, if you are not already checking your student's attendance, punctuality, assignments, etc. = http://www.pwschools.org/our-district/power-school-tutorial/
- please encourage your student to check our lost and found box, both in the hallway and in the office
- please consider following P-W Schools on Facebook and Twitter to see all the champion things going on inside our buildings, with our students!
- our PLANK peer-mentoring group is starting a new mentoring program - every Thurs., a group of PLANK's will be staying after school in the library, and will be available to talk, play games, do team building activities, help with homework, or just listen - anyone and everyone is welcome!
- please remember to call in (989.587.5100) your student's absence or tardy by 8am the day of the absence/tardy - this is a student safety matter
- we have started a Clothing Closet for P-W students in need. We are accepting brand new boys/girls/men's/women's clothing (with price tags attached) in all sizes (for all grade levels) throughout the year. So, the next time you're out shopping, please consider adding 1 more article of clothing to your purchase for a student who might otherwise go without. Thank you for caring! Please, drop your donations off in the MS/HS Art room with Ms. Blair. You may contact Ms. Blair at the MS/HS at (989)587-5100 with any questions.
- if you happen to know any student who is living in any of the following situations, please let me know immediately, so we can assist them right away: __in a shelter __in a motel or hotel __with more than 1 family in a house or apartment
__in a car __campsite or campground __with friends or family members (other than parent/guardian)
- please see the following list/link of our educators' office hrs. for this school year (what a great way for your student to make an appt. to get 1-on-1 assistance from his/her teachers!): http://www.pwschools.org/downloads/jrsr_hs_documents/2017-2018_pw_mshs_staff_office_hours_1.pdf
- our strength/athleticism program hours for the school year = Tues., Wed., and Thurs. @ 4:15pm-5:20pm, mtg. outside the MuscleFarm
- we continue to work to increase our Substitute Teacher pool, as there is a real shortage of Subs. (and we have increased our rate of pay!) - please consider applying online @ edustaff.org, as we believe you would love working alongside our students and Team here!
- a reminder that all student-athletes must have a sports physical card on file in Mrs. Christensen's office prior to practicing with teams this coming school year (the physical must have been administered after April 15th, 2017 to be valid for this school year)
Our 2017-18 MS/HS vision targets
#1 we will grow our champions' culture
#2 we will utilize our data to drive instruction/improvements via interim assessments
#3 we will implement proven, effective instructional methods (teaching is for learning)
#4 we will make tech. an ingredient to quality instruction
#5 we will increase the frequency, SAT format, and rigor of our formative, interim, and
#6 we will keep our Atlas curriculum mapping "alive"
- Please check us out on Twitter and Facebook as a way to keep up to date with events, our vision targets, points of pride, and information.